Re: slow insert performance

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:18:49 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Daud" <daud11_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I ran statspack and the most wait is on:
> db file sequential read.
> It is by far the biggest compared to the others.

It is possible that most of your reads are used to locate the correct index leaf blocks for each row - so a review of the indexes on the table may be in order, with the aim of eliminating redundant indexes. Another possibility is that your big table has had a lot of randomly scattered deletes that (due to particular value of pctused/pctfree, or the use of ASSM) have left lots of table blocks with enough room for just one row to be inserted. So each row of your insert forces Oracle to read a single table block, and insert a row. (This type of freespace distribution is not common for tables - but it is possible)
> I think the problem is because the db buffer cache is too tiny. It is
> only 120Mb now. Agree?

If the root cause is excessive indexing, a larger buffer may help. If the root cause is the 'free block' anomaly I describe in the second para, then I wouldn't expect a larger buffer to make any difference.