Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Euan Garden[MS] <>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:29:18 GMT
Message-ID: <2FOac.156882$po.935165@attbi_s52>

No I can't state that and I'll explain why, however you are digressing from your point in this thread. Your point was that Microsoft runs its financials(SAP) on Oracle and you claimed to have evidence, I am saying that is not the case. If you want to change the discussion to is MS running Oracle software anywhere, then I would ask that you retract the previous statement and issue the new one ,as you are not willing to bring your original point to conclusion with us.

Ok now to your request for my statement, let me explain a couple of reasons and scenarios why that can not be the case.

1/ MS Campus is huge(as you well know) with 10,000's of employees, there could well be an Oracle employee and some Oracle Software on campus for one of the scenarios below, in an office somewhere. I don't know the occupier of every office on campus and therefore can not state what you ask. It may be the case that there are none but without knowing for sure I am not going to make that statement.

2/ Oracle is a partner of MS in several areas. We provide OLEDB, ODBC and Managed Data Access to versions of Oracle because our customers request it. I am presuming we have copies of Oracle to be able to do that testing and development, I don't know if they were loaned, purchased, leased or any other mechanism of acquiring them. I am presuming we have worked with Oracle in building these drivers in terms of getting tech support for the APIs etc. There may or may not have been an Oracle employee on site to help with that. I know for a fact that at Microsoft we send on site engineers for support/advice for customers and partners writing software to work with our platform. I am presuming that Oracle has a similar service.

3/ Oracle is also a partner in that their software runs on Windows, we work closely with many companies whose software runs on windows, they have access to labs on campus and for many of them they have staff on campus to help them build their products on Windows. Oracle may or may not have that level of service, as a member of the SQL Server team I am not privy to windows partner arrangements.

So for that reason I can't state whether we have or have nor purchased the software and I can not state whether there are Oracle employees on campus or not.

I know this is not the answer you requested but are you willing to accept this? Basically I can't state it because I do not have 100% knowledge.



Euan Garden
Product Unit Manager
SQL Server Development
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Daniel Morgan" <> wrote in message

> Euan Garden[MS] wrote:
> > See my offer further up, I'll happily arrange a visit for you to the SAP
> > Admins that run Microsofts SQL Server SAP implementation. I am pretty
> > thats as good a reference as it gets?
> >
> > Regards
> I may well take you up on your offer. But just for the record ...
> are you willing to state that there are no Oracle employees
> on the Microsoft campus running Oracle software purchased by
> the Microsoft Corporation?
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
Received on Thu Apr 01 2004 - 00:29:18 CST

Original text of this message