Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 05:43:47 GMT

 > It virtually eliminates any disk activity
> except writing to physical once per checkpoint.

Ravi - How expensive are the checkpoints ? Why would an Informix DBA write a perl script to try and predict when the engine is going to do a checkpoint ? Exactly what does onmode -b do in Informix ? Is it documented ? Why would an Informix DBA recommend that it be manually issued before a 'real' checkpoint ? Does it work all the time ? What are the potential recovery problems that can be caused by doing this ?

The questions are purely rhetorical, and I'm not trying to throw fuel on the fire, but this comment struck me as just a little disingenious. Received on Wed Mar 31 2004 - 23:43:47 CST