Re: Question: traversing a firewall with Oracle 9i R2.

From: Dave Sisk <dsisk_at_nc.rr.com.0nospam0>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 03:47:41 GMT

Doug:

If I understood what you are trying to do correctly, just opening port 1521 in your firewall won't do the trick. The TNSListener listens on port 1521 (by default, you can configure it to listen on a different port, of course). When it gets a connection request on that port, it accepts the connection, then asks the database server to spawn a process to handle the connection on some available port on the host. The TNS Listener then instructs the client to disconnect from it on 1521 and reconnect to the port this server process that it just spawned is listening on.

This is the default behavior, but there are ways to modify it. I don't recall the details at the moment, but I do recall that having the SQL*Net proxy on the firewall greatly simplifies things. Start with that piece!

HTH,
Dave