LogMiner continuous mode question...how to stop?

From: Dave Sisk <dsisk_at_nc.rr.com.0nospam0>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 01:57:46 GMT

Hi folks: Here's a LogMiner exercise, with two issues.

  1. Even after starting LogMiner, nothing ever seems to show up in most of the ancillary LogMiner views (like v$logmnr_parameters, v$logmnr_stats, etc.) Minor issue, just curious....haven't read through the details on this one, but was wondering if anyone knows a quick answer.
  2. Here's a more annoying issue. After starting LogMiner, I do this query: SELECT seg_owner, seg_name, sql_redo, sql_undo FROM v$logmnr_contents where seg_owner='some_owner';

I get results back as they show up in the redo log, which is exactly what I want of course. However, this query never actually returns...it just continues to block waiting on more change records to show up. I actually like this behavior, but I haven't found in the documents how to "end" this query without actually just killing the session executing it. Has anyone found the right way to get it to return? (Oracle9.2.0.1) I can't stop the LogMiner session the right way since this query never returns. If anyone has any suggestions, please post and/or email me.

Steps below:

select log_mode,
       supplemental_log_data_min min,
       supplemental_log_data_pk pk,
       supplemental_log_data_ui ui

from v$database; SYS.DBMS_LOGMNR.COMMITTED_DATA_ONLY + SYS.DBMS_LOGMNR.CONTINUOUS_MINE);
SELECT * FROM v$logmnr_parameters;
SELECT * FROM v$logmnr_dictionary;
SELECT * FROM v$logmnr_logs;
SELECT * FROM v$logmnr_logfile;

SELECT seg_owner, seg_name, sql_redo, sql_undo FROM v$logmnr_contents where seg_owner='some_owner';

DECLARE
  v_count NUMBER(3,0);
BEGIN
  v_count := 1;
  WHILE v_count <=10 LOOP
    insert into junk values(to_char(v_count));     commit;
    v_count := v_count + 1;
  END LOOP;
END;
/