Running application and database on same hardware?

From: Stefan Rupp <st.rupp_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:50:59 +0200

Good evening,

althought I thought this to be a FAQ, I didn't manage to find anything about it on the Co-operative FAQ. Maybe you can help me:

We have an application spread across a couple of processes, some with high I/O, some with high CPU, but all with high (> 100 MB) memory needs. So far, we have a couple of installations for different customers where the underlying Oracle database is running on the same physical hardware as the application processes (mostly Sun/Solaris, some HP/PA-RISC, DEC/Alpha and Intel/i386 architectures).

Although our application usualy spreads its processes on multiple machines, which have multiple CPUs and loads of memory, I am wondering if it might be better to have a dedicated database server running on a dedicated hardware which only serves as the database for all application processes such that the application needs not compete with Oracle for system resources. This of course puts additional load on the network and requires additional hardware to be purchased. Is it worth? If not - would it be better to have the oracle server share the hardware with the more CPU intense processes or with the I/O intense ones?

Thank you for your advice!

Regards,
Stefan Received on Wed Mar 31 2004 - 14:50:59 CST