Re: Backup trends: HOT or COLD

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:21:36 GMT

> Why should they migrate to a newer version ?. The software doesn't need
> stuff like java, xml, http, rman and so on. It is simply a database, the
> frontend is written in C respectively Pro*C and is well running.

The software may not need all of the new fancy features, but your DBAs might want some of them! Today's Oracle DBAs don't have to worry about managing rollback segments, work area sizes, extent sizes. And that was just with 9i! Oracle 10g makes the DBAs life even easier!!! By forcing the app to run on an old Oracle version, the vendor is constraining the customer to more costly support of their RDBMS.

And support from Oracle is another matter. I've seen systems that ran fine for many, many years. Then one day, a nasty problem comes up that wasn't there before. Then what do you do? The first thing Oracle Support will tell you is to upgrade.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com