Re: Backup trends: HOT or COLD

From: Königer Stefan <koeniger_at_ssi-schaefer-noell.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:22:53 GMT

> I'm with Connor on this one, HOT backups aren't that much trouble, even
> without RMAN, and I have this aversion to shutting down databases where
> avoidable. On the other hand I'm not sure I'd want to be running an
> application 24/7 if the vendor is 5 years out of date in the software they
> support.

Hello,

I work for a company in the customer service and we have customers with old versions of our stock management software running on Oracle 7.3.4.

Why should they migrate to a newer version ?. The software doesn't need stuff like java, xml, http, rman and so on. It is simply a database, the frontend is written in C respectively Pro*C and is well running.

What I mean is you cannot bash a vendor supporting an older Oracle version.

Stefan Received on Wed Mar 31 2004 - 07:22:53 CST