Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:21:24 +1000

Reading the SCN from a block that is in memory is as tremendously complex as following a pointer to a location in memory. I am soooooo concerned about the performance implications of that! I'm sure so is Oracle...

Reading the SCN from a block that is not in memory is as inefficient as ANY other I/O to retrieve a database page into cache, in ANY database software. Again, a major concern that Oracle and the world will lose a lot of sleep over...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
"rkusenet" <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Not only that. Oracle's versioning is forced even when there is no
> need. I proved this to Daniel few months back. A simple query on yesterday's
> data (which today is only in read mode) can be answered in
informix/db2/sqlserver
> without any locks (READ UNCOMMITTED), giving best possible performance. In
Oracle