Re: 8i to 9i migration, performance issues

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:58:21 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Paul" <pkelley_at_coat.com> wrote in message

> From metalink:
>
> "Please note that the decision to unnest a subquery is not costed in
> Oracle9i. The decision to unnest a subquery is taken based on a set of
> heuristics (rules) before the query is optimized."
Just as a little extra on that, the 10g Performance Guide and Ref has this to say about the UNNEST hint: The UNNEST hint tells Oracle to check the subquery block for validity only. If the subquery block is valid, then subquery unnesting is enabled without checking the heuristics or costs. The 9.2 manual does not have the words "or costs" at the end. This tends to suggest that 10g (unhinted) does take costs into account when considering unnesting. However, until I can find an example where 9i and 10g produce different 10053 traces, I'm not going to commit myself on that just yet.