Recovery of an Oracle Database from a disk crash

From: Kevin <monster910_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2004 14:24:48 -0800

Need help!

Basically, a past Oracle DBA setup the database and now we need to recover it because the scripts he setup to do backup dumps everynight were wrong and the main server crashed! Argh! I have contracted a data recovery service and need to give them direction on the exact files to recover.

Environment: Solaris 8, Oracle 8.1.6
Oracle installed: /u01/app/oracle
Data installed: /u02/oradata

On a machine configured the same, I have the following files

drwxr-xr-x   2 oracle   oinstall     512 Oct 22  2000 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 oracle   oinstall     512 Oct 22  2000 ..

-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 4497408 Mar 30 16:10 control01.ctl
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 4497408 Mar 30 16:10 control02.ctl
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 4497408 Mar 30 16:10 control03.ctl
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 56631296 Mar 30 15:09 indx01.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 20987904 Mar 30 15:09
oem_repository.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 541073408 Mar 30 15:09 rbs01.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 512512 Mar 30 14:52 redo01.log
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 512512 Mar 30 14:54 redo02.log
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 512512 Mar 30 14:54 redo03.log
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 152313856 Mar 30 15:09 system01.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 71311360 Mar 30 15:09 temp01.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 8396800 Mar 30 15:09 tools01.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 177217536 Mar 30 15:09 users01.dbf

Questions
1. Is the oradata directory the only directory I need to recover? 2. Can I stop the database on the backup machine (with files above), tar the files, insert the recovered database files and start up the database?
3. Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance,

If you do this kind of work, contact me! Received on Tue Mar 30 2004 - 16:24:48 CST