playing with dbms_rowid

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:00:13 -0600

Oracle 8.1.4 on Win2k

Created a test tablespace. LMT w/ uniform extents. Created table and pk index in the new TS Ran a PL/SQL loop to load the new table with test data.

Then ran the following query:

select supl_key "key",

	dbms_rowid.rowid_block_number(rowid) "block",
	dbms_rowid.rowid_row_number(rowid) "row"
from mytable
order by supl_key
/

I was somewhat surprised to find that the lowest # block-id was 18. Am I right in thinking that blocks 1 thru 17 are used for TS management? Received on Tue Mar 30 2004 - 15:00:13 CST