Re: 8i to 9i migration, performance issues

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:15:24 +0000 (UTC)

Notes in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"VC" <boston103_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > From metalink:
> >
> > "Please note that the decision to unnest a subquery is not costed in
> > Oracle9i. The decision to unnest a subquery is taken based on a set of
> > heuristics (rules) before the query is optimized."
>
> Whatever the 'set of heuristics' Oracle implements in 9i is, it sure
creates
> some atrocious execution plans.
I think the heuristics may be little more than: if the result set is the same, do it. There was an enhancement in 9.0 that added code to recognise increasing numbers of options - (I thought it was talking cost, but in fact I now realise that it must have been talking about patterns).
> We had to add an ugly hack (WHERE ROWNUM
>
> 0) to quite a few of our queries in order to prevent Oracle from
un-nesting
> them ( the hint does not always work).
I did find a note that said you should put the unnest hint in the main query - I believe it is wrong (though I now hesitate about making a firm claim, given my last error on unnesting). Whenever I've wanted to unnest, or no_unnest, I've always put the hint in the subquery that I want to fix, and it's never failed me yet.