Re: Table Monitoring in 10G versus 8i

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:13:00 +0000 (UTC)

Notes in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Douglas Hawthorne" <douglashawthorne_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> In conclusion, the only thing to have changed between 8i and 10G has been
> the statistics update interval.
>

> My best guess is that the statistics are now updated between five (5) and
> ten (10) minutes after the last DML. It is a pity that they are not more
> accurate.

Good guess - Your post prompted me to take a look at what had changed. My method is simple: alter system set sql_trace true scope = both shutdown startup Then exercise the database. The change from 8 to 9 was to reduce the refresh time from about 3 hours to about 15 minutes. smon kicks in every 5 minutes, and every third cycle the update was one of the tasks. 9i also introduce a specific call in dbms_stats to 'flush stats' on demand to write the in-memory record to mon_mods$; and this call is built in when you do an "analyze stale". (From memory, I think this also flushes the col_usage$ statistics). 9 to 10 is significantly different, as the task has been handed off to a standard dbms_job, which is invoked every 10 minutes. So the updates on my test system appear in the j000 trace file, and the job definition shows a call to dbms_stats to gather system stats with the flush method. Your "5 to 10" minutes is probably appearing as a side-effect of the default job queue interval being 5 minutes.