Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:23:15 -0500

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Serge Rielau wrote:
>

>>> Not one of the list of products is capable of something as basic
>>> to Oracle as partitioning. I'd like to see the day when 1.5 peta
>>> is loaded into any of them: Oracle currently supports two such
>>> databases.
>>>
>> CNN runs DB2 CM peta-sized.
>> http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/749871
>>
>> Or are you trying to tell us there is an OLTP system in that size. It
>> sure isn't on WinterCorp's list.
>> Database size is a funny business to measure. Just remember the SQL
>> Server 7 "terra-server".
>>
>> Cheers
>> Serge

> Where did I use the letters "OLTP"?
>
> I'm not sure the sizes at Amex, Visa and MasterCard. But I would
> expect they are keeping their OLTP sides smaller than that.

You didn't that's why I am asking what those 1.5 peta are made up of. And, no, OLTP installations don't get that fat. When you start adding documents: Yes. That was my whole point.

To address Noons post: Touchee. I do not have a public link that states explicitly that CNN is live now. That is unfortunately common in the industry.
The announcement/purchase makes the headlines, not the going into production.

But I have a link... your turn.

Cheers
Serge

--