Re: Performance: "pl/sql" vs. "OS b-tree files"

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:23:55 GMT

"Ignacio" <barbudo_at_ono.com> wrote in message news:a4U9c.1040$9c.130331_at_news.ono.com...
> Hi,
>
> we're developing an application in which performance is a very important
> issue (what a new!:)
> Database is Oracle 9.2, application language is Java 1.4.2., OS is Solaris
8
> (RAM 8GB, 4x750Mhz CPU).
>
> The process needs to query for every object several times (around 10) the
> same configuration tables, which are stored in Oracle. Every process has
> millions of objects, so the number of consults made to Oracle would be
> rather high.
> No INSERT statements would be made, only SELECTs.
>
> The two alternatives are:
>
> * wrap the SQL statements in pl/sql packages to minimize the number of
> SELECT statements made to Oracle. The packages would be called using JDBC.
> The config tables would be set as CACHED, and perhaps index-organized.
>
> * dump all the configuration tables in a OS file and, using Java classes
> based on B-Trees, build a B-Tree file and make all the searches using Java
> methods against this B-tree file. This file would be cached in memory by
the
> OS.
>
> It is supposed that the Java methods querying in-memory data would beat
the
> pl/sql procedures querying the Oracle tables... Does it worth to dump all
> the information from Oracle to a B-Tree file, having in mind that Oracle
> uses the same technique to build indexes? Which solution would be more
> efficient?
>
> Thank you very much for your comments. Any hint would be welcomed.
>
> why build t\your own. Taqke advantage of then other what you are paying
for. You can put those objects in a keep buffer pool and make sure the pool is large enough.
Query the database.

 why build tyour own. Take advantage of then other what you are paying for. You can put those objects in a keep buffer pool and make sure the pool is large enough. Let the database do what it does well, handle queries of data. What is more important is to use bind variables (prepared statements) and make 1 query and just reexecute on subsequent querirs. Much faster. Jim Received on Mon Mar 29 2004 - 07:23:55 CST