Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:19:33 -0500

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Ron wrote:
>

>> I found an interesting article by Karen Southwick about Oracle's
>> supposed "murky" (in her own words) future. Can someone counter her
>> arguments.
>>
>> http://news.com.com/2010-1071-5072299.html
>>
>> Should I select Oracle or should I go with
>>
>> PostgreSQL.com (free and in my opinion, extremely reliable), MYSQL, MS
>> SQL Server or DB2?
>>
>> Thanks!

> Irrelevant nonsense crossposted to multiple usenet groups for the
> sole purpose of being a troll.
>
> Not one of the list of products is capable of something as basic
> to Oracle as partitioning. I'd like to see the day when 1.5 peta
> is loaded into any of them: Oracle currently supports two such
> databases.

CNN runs DB2 CM peta-sized.
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/749871

Or are you trying to tell us there is an OLTP system in that size. It sure isn't on WinterCorp's list.
Database size is a funny business to measure. Just remember the SQL Server 7 "terra-server".

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau