Re: What is purpose of multiset collections?

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10junk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Mar 2004 18:39:17 -0800

MULTISET is not really related to data storage. It's more of a programmatic tool, to be used in an OO context. I can see a use for it only for nested tables (defined either as a permanent object or exclusively in the context of PL/SQL). And of course a nested table deals with parent/child relationships. Therefore, you have it right when you say that "... using a single command to absorb, process, and display a row of data that has multiple child values
in one or more of its columns". Just keep in mind that a multiset is probably only necessary when this parent/child relationship is implemented with nested tables (otherwise, if the relationship is implemented with various tables, I would simply use bulk collects to populate my collection).It basically just allows to move easily (and efficiently, network-wise) data from a nested table to a collection.

HTH Daniel