Re: DBCA Connection Options - How to determine an existing server mode?

From: Niall Litchfield <>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:46:28 -0000

You can investigate parameter settings using show parameter <some relevant substring> in sqlplus when logged in with a dba account. so for example to show dump directories you might use show parameter dest. In the case of shared servers the parameters you need are for Multi-Threaded Server or MTS. show parameter mts will show you what the relevant parameters are set to at the database level. if there are no dispatchers you will be using a dedicated server process. If however you do have some shared servers running its a little more complex since it is actually the client that requests shared or dedicated connections and if all the clients request dedicated connections....

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission UK
Please include version and platform