Re: migration database from windows nt 4 to windows 2000

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:15:18 GMT

antonio wrote:

> version oracle 8.0.5
>
> i need to migrate database from server where run nt4 to a serve where run
> windows 2000 server..
> can you halp me?
> i tried to copy folder database in new serve but it's not possible opne
> and mount database
>
> antonio

You have two separate issues here. First is the software and second is the database.

You need to INSTALL the software on the target machine, using the Oracle-supplied installer. Based on your description, I'm not sure you have done this.

Then you can MIGRATE the database. There are several ways, some of which are: export/import, backup/restore and copy. To copy, you need to ensure everything related to the database (init????.ora, *.dbf, *.log, etc.) is copied from all relevant folders. You just might find an export/import easier.

Aside from that, have you checked whether 8.0.5 runs in Windows 2000?

(Also, can you explain why you are upgrading the operating system but not the database? The RDBMS, not the OS, is the thing keeping your data safe. The operrating system is just 'window dressing'.)

HTH
/Hans Received on Fri Mar 26 2004 - 13:15:18 CST