Re: uninstall 10g

From: Victor Oosterbaan <voosterbaan_at_desyde.nl>
Date: 26 Mar 2004 03:04:07 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<406357d9$0$8360$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> " - Dan -" <dan_at_domain.com> wrote in message
> > Doh!
>
> Don't be too hard on yourself. If your subtler point was "how do I make like
> Oracle was never installed on this machine" then the answer really has to be
> "Norton Ghost" (or similar). The one thing the Universal Installer won't
> uninstall is itself. And it won't tidy up the registry after itself very
> well, either.
>
> That was 9i, though. It might be better in 10g.
>
> Whenever I am forced to install onto Windows, however, I always Ghost the
> machine before starting.
>
> Regards
> HJR
I just installed 10G on my laptop (windows 2000 sp4, oracle 9ir2patch4 also running). I wanted to upgrade my 9i database to 10g, but the the fancy GUI-upgrade-thingie didn't work very well. So I made a backup, uninstalled 9i, 10g, and restarted. Funny thing is, 9i removed its services, like OracleServiceLOCAL etc, but 10G did not.
Registry still doesn't get cleaned.

There are a lot of little things that are not 'dangerous', but nontheless wrong.
E.g. If you use the DBCA to create database-creation-scripts: It generates a 'spool %ORACLE_HOME%\assistants\dbca\logs\...' in the beginning of each script, and a 'spool off' at the end. But sometimes it generates the same spool command at the beginning AND at the end. Little things like that.
Right now my laptop is very busy installing a 10G-database, can't wait to play with it :o) Received on Fri Mar 26 2004 - 05:04:07 CST