Re: Excessive Logical and Physical I/O

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:07:34 GMT

> The "if no
> one is complaining" presupposes a well-adminstered site to begin with.
> My experience probably is skewed, but it seems to me most places are
> set up by consultants/vendors who may or may not be good, then left to
> the, er, less experienced, or are barely managed to be set up by those
> with no ODBA experience.

There is the case that a user doesn't even know that they are experiencing pain. For instance, it takes 10 minutes to sign with SQL*Plus. Most of us would cringe at the thought. But some users just got used to it taking that long, kind of like how we get used to how long it takes for Windows to boot. A more knowledable DBA comes in one day and says "this ain't right", and fixes the problem. The user's weren't experiecing pain before. But that is why I also specified 'joy'. When the more knowledgable DBA fixes the problem, the user's experience joy over resolution.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com