Advanced Replication: for availability or better performance over distance?

From: Ernest Siu <ernestsiu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Mar 2004 10:52:58 -0800

As subject, what is the main reason for deploying advanced replication? Can someone verify my observation here:

Since AR is async, if multiple sites are sharing a lot of common tables for read/write, then data conflict will arise frequently. Looking into similar products like SharePlex, it seems to me that people use AR or SharePlex more for disaster recovery and high availability than better performance over distances - i.e. few people will deploy active/active servers with AR, instead they use the replica for DR purpose.

If the above observation is true, for nation-wide DB application, the most popular (or the only viable) solution today is one big server (or RAC to some extent) at a single datacenter. Is this how most nation-wide companies (financial, logistics) deploy a geo-seperated DB? DR requirement is another issue that many ways can address (backup, AR, Symmetrix, journaling), but I'm looking more into how people tackle performance issue in a wide-area.

Can somebody has some deployment experience on wide-area DB tells me how they address performance and scalability in a nation-wide setting.

Ernest Received on Thu Mar 25 2004 - 12:52:58 CST