Re: Access to oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:33:20 -0800

vikram wrote:

> HI,
>
> In our company we have been using access, now we are planning to use
> Oracle. I am not that well versed in DBA. Anyone can guide with some
> links or some materials or advice me the neccessary
>
> Thanks
> vikram

I know some will interpret this as harsh and horrible ... but I trade in truth ... not smoke and mirrors.

The chances of you being successful in Oracle are absolutely zero based on your background and experience.

This does not mean you couldn't learn ... but we are talking about months or years ... not days and weeks.

My suggestion. Get a copy of Tom Kyte's book Expert one-on-one Oracle and read the first three chapters until your eyes bleed. Then reread the entire book.

After that go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and read the concept and architecture documents.

Then, and only then, try to write some SQL and PL/SQL in Oracle.

There a lot of demos to help you at http://www.psoug.org. Click on the link to Morgan's Library.

And very importantly ... remember we will gladly help you. But you must demonstrate that you have put in some real effort to read and learn before you ask a question on a subject.

Best wishes.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu