Re: help with recovery

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:09:54 +1100

"daveb" <davebest_at_SuPsAaM.net> wrote in message news:IaadneROCqM7YfzdRVn-gQ_at_speakeasy.net...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
> >
> > OK. Who are you logged onto the Windows box as (ie, which Windows
account
> > name did you use?)?
> >
> > You want to check the users and groups on this machine: there should be
> one
> > called ORA_DBA. Your Windows user account should be a member of that
> group.
>
> I've done everything as Administrator (oracle installation, all these
tests)
> through terminal services. It's a spare dedicated box on my internal LAN
> pressed into service for this.

Ah. Stop that immediately then. Terminal Services is a very weird and wonderful product, and causes no end of grief for Oracle databases. Do it direct on the server at this stage. You can worry about how to get more "elaborate" later, once it's all working.

> Ok, that worked :)
> I'm now connected to an idle instance.
>
> "oradim -shutdown -sid xxx -shuttype srvc" works, but gives
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
> in the oradim.log

Can we just try to do the absolute basics at this stage, and not do fancy things? Starting and stopping the service is not the issue at this point. Just getting your instance up is (well, OK you've got to start the service before you can get your instance, but once it's running, just leave it for now). Please stick with SQL*Plus for now.

I'd like to see complete captures of the text on your screen (not binary images, just cut and paste the text) as you start the service, set your ORACLE_SID and connect as SYS and issue the startup command.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Mar 24 2004 - 19:09:54 CST