Re: Intelligent agent does not start on RedHat 9

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:02:18 +1100

"hastenthunder" <hastenthunder_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e2l8c.285$Pp2.500_at_mencken.net.nih.gov...
> Thank you Robert.
>
> I have traced $ORACLE_HOME/network/log/dbsnmp.nohup, it turns out it
cannot
> load the shared library: libvppdc.so
> But this file actually does exist in $ORACLE_HOME/lib/
>
> I read some post online, people are saying it is some Oracle/Linux bug,
can
> you offer any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

It's not a bug when you are using an operating system for which Oracle was never certified!

There's a lot missing in your original post. Have you been running Oracle 9 on RH9 for some time, with the agent working properly, only to have this suddenly happen on you?

Or is this an installation you've just performed which isn't quite going according to plan?

If it's the latter, did you remember to downgrade your glibc packages? When you installed, did you get an error at the 74% mark concerning an error linking ins_oemagent.mk? Did you just click 'ignore' at that point hoping no-one would notice?!

Instructions for installing Oracle 9 on RH9 (and Fedora and Mandrake and RHASx -oh, and 10g on all of the above) are at www.dizwell.com, and they work. I know, because I've just spent an entire week performing each one four or five times to make sure.

Conceivably, but we're in deep Not-In-Kansas territory here, you could retro-actively downgrade your glibc libraries following the instructions on how to do so at aforementioned web site. And then you could try and re-link the agent executables by following the final step as shown in the RHAS3 guide.

Of course, if it is the former, and things have only just started going wrong, then take a trip to $ORACLE_HOME/network/agent and delete *.q and services.ora. Then have another go.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Mar 24 2004 - 14:02:18 CST