Re: Copy database?

From: Karl R <kroyle_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:42:19 -0000

> This description is good, but would you also post a step-by-step of the
> commands necessary to do the copy and change? I also need to copy
> a production database back into test.
>
> Mike

In short (please feel free to correct me folks)...

Create a file area to store the new database.

Run orapwd file=MYPARAMFILE entries = XX ...

Run oradim -new -sid MYNEWSID -intpwd XXXXX

Run the "backup controlfile to trace" on the existing database.

Take the resultant logfile from the udump area and examine it. There are two sections of script each beginning "startup nomount". Use the second one.

Change the file locations to point to the new area and change the SID.

Insert the word SET after REUSE in the "create controlfile" statement.

Shut down existing database and copy the data files to new location (or copy DB with archivelog-ing and all logs) to new file area.

Log into sqlplus as the sys user and run the amended commands starting with "startup nomount"

Hope this helps and that I've not omitted anything significant! Received on Wed Mar 24 2004 - 07:42:19 CST