Re: Is this a good use for an IOT type table or are there better solutions.

From: colin_lyse <colin_lyse_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Mar 2004 07:34:14 -0600

In article <1080113669.109456_at_yasure>, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>Are the ID numbers sequential growing in a manner where all inserts
>would be at the 'end' of the table and not be into existing blocks?
>Are there ever updates or deletes?

no, id numbers aer pretty static grow by 2-3% a year at most. so inserts would be into existing blocks.

No updates or deletes, until we start pruning in around 3-4 years, and in that case a single delete, probably recreate the table at that point.

>But the question on my mind is why? This table is so small that space
>the little bit of space used by the index is inconsequential. What is
>the business problem you are attempting to solve. Also the number of
>inserts is very small ... only 70 per minute on average. Hardly seems
>worth even thinking about.

Cost, Costs, Costs. This is just one server out of 100s and not the biggest by far (we have on another a 2 billion row table that grows by 4 million a day). However, even the added cost of the 2-3 gig storage is frowned upon by management, 'can we get by with less space?', 'is there a way to cut the cost'?, 'budgets are frozen, no money left for even 1 more byte', etc. So we are always looking at cutting costs. Since we are a tiny fraction of much larger group, our say 2 gig saving multiplied 1000 times, can start to add up. Received on Wed Mar 24 2004 - 07:34:14 CST