Re: What Linux kernel for 10g?

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:38:11 +0100

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> What is the appropriate Linux kernel to be used in a
> RHEL3 + Oracle 10g server?
>
> I am using the same distribution kernel that came with RHEL
> (kernel-2.4.21-4.EL), but I am having serious performance problems.
> The jobs run up to 10x slower (compared to RH9 + Ora9R2), and I am
> guessing that perhaps I have a wrong kernel.
>
> TIA,
>
> -Ramon F. Herrera

Instead of guessing, why not trace your sessions and look for the actual cause of your problem? I haven't had the time to check, but hopefully that bug on 9.2.0.4 that rendered tracefiles almost useless has been fixed.

BTW: As a note to other readers that turned up lately: If you think you've got a performance problem, grab the next copy of 'Optimal Oracle Performance' (Cary Milsap, published by O'Reilly) you can get your hands on and stop guessing.

Regards,

Holger Received on Wed Mar 24 2004 - 03:38:11 CST