Re: Is this a good use for an IOT type table or are there better solutions.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:30:02 +0000 (UTC)

From your description a partitioned IOT
looks like an obvious choice.

If you want to think about dropping
old data very efficiently after a few years, then partitioning by date could be beneficial.

If you want to minimise contention then
partitioning by ID would be beneficial if a typical query is:

    select
    where ID = {const}
    and datestamp between {} and {}
This would probably minimise the cost
of data loading as well.

Before you make any changes, though,
try to get a picture of the full life-cycle of the data; and consider what problems
different solutions might give you at different points in that life-cycle.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"colin_lyse" <colin_lyse_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Using Oracle 9i R2 on a Sun SPARC 10k with 8 CPUS, 2 TB disk, 32 gig ram
> running SUN OS 5
>
> asking question because our DBA says current structure is best and only
> option, wanted to know if that is true
>
> we have a table with following structure
>
> ID NUMBER NOT NULL,
> DATESTAMP DATE NOT NULL,
> HOUR NUMBER NOT NULL,
> AAMP NUMBER,
> BAMP NUMBER,
> CAMP NUMBER,
> CAT NUMBER
>
> it has a unique index on ID, DATESTAMP, HOUR. it is used for access and
> aslo enforces uniqueness
>
> The table currently has 29 million rows and grows by 100,000 a day. the
table
> is 1.3 gigs the index is 1.1 gigs. There is currently 287 days of data.
There