Re: performance question

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:20:57 -0800

Alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a situation where any design or other suggestions are appreciated.
>
> I have more than half a million data files with 300K each. Each file is one
> record with a binary data section of around 7K that I am interested in. I'll
> need to do query on that particular binary data section in that huge table
> of data record, such as 'SELECT * FROM MyHugeTable WHERE
> ColumnName='MyBinaryColumn'. Are there suggestions (table design, query and
> others) that may help to improve the performance?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Alex

Unless I have completely misunderstood you ... you have more than 500,000 data files? Each sized at 300K? And each with a single record?

And I thought the people I went to school with in the 60s were doing drugs. ;-) Are you serious? Why?

How would I improve performance? Put it all into a far smaller number of datafiles for starters.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu