Re: ORA -16014 - Error in archiving, no available destination

From: srivenu <srivenu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Mar 2004 22:17:26 -0800

>I have another queston:
>I picked up some code which does:
>alter system switch logfile;
>mv archived_file dir1
>I think when switching is done, Oracle switches the file to a new
file
>and leaves archiver to achive previous log file. I think what I
should
>do is:
>alter system archive log current;
>mv
>this way I will ensure that previous log has been archived before
>switch is made?

prem, as howard has said, there is no practical difference which command is used.
There are differences however
1) If the destination has errored out, the alter system switch logfile; would hang whereas alter system archive log current; would error out. You can use this to inform you through mail or other means in your script.
2) (This is just for theoritical purpose). If archiver is not running, the alter system switch logfile; would hang if all the online logs need archiving, whereas alter system archive log current; would cause the oracle server process to do the archiving.

So you can write the script to use alter system archive log current;

fo example you can write your code like this whenever sqlerror exit SQL.SQLCODE
alter system archive log current;
......<other processing>..........

you can use the status of this exit to mail you if an error occurs.

regards
Srivenu Received on Wed Mar 24 2004 - 00:17:26 CST