Re: help with recovery

From: daveb <davebest_at_SuPsAaM.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:15:32 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:4060d1f0$0$3956$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> "daveb" <davebest_at_SuPsAaM.net> wrote in message
> > We have a small test database (9.2.0.1 on Windows 2000) and the
hard-drive
> > just fried. Should be no biggie since we have create scripts for the
> > schema. But now we find we need some of the test data...no db backup on
> > that, d'oh. But it turns out that we have a copy of the oracle
directory.

> Strangely enough, some degree of precision is required when describing a
> problem before a solution can usefully be offered. What oracle directory?
Do
> you mean the "oradata" directory? If so, what -exactly- is in that
> directory? Are there control files? Are there things which look like redo
> logs? Are there all the data files of the entire database before the hard
> disk failure?
>
> You know, just a few minor details would help!

You're quite right! The exact scenario is that we had a test program running against the database, doing sporadic transactions. The test program received TNS errors, the server machine was locked up, and reboots failed with hard-drive errors as does chkdsk. But I was able to attach the drive as a secondary on another machine and copy most of the Oracle directory, including the ora92\database (has the spfile), and oradata sub-directories. So, yes there are control files and redo logs..

> >and created a database of the same name,
>
> Oh dear. Why do people insist on creating new databases when their actual
> objective is to recover the old one?

Uh, something I, uh, read somewhere...uh, ah, mumble...yup, pretty clueless of me <hangs head in shame>

> Listen Dave: it comes down to what exactly is in that directory of which
you
> have a backup. If all the data files are there, and all the control files,
> and all the online redo logs, then all you've got to do after
re-installing
> Oracle itself is to create a service with the same name as the original
> database had. You may well have to re-create an initXXX.ora with a couple
of
> parameters such as control_files, db_block_size, undo_tablespace and
db_name
> set appropriately as well, because I suspect that your spfile and/or
> init.ora were stored somewhere other than your oradata directory (but
> without the details, I'm only guessing).

Ok, this makes sense. Thank you.

> Start with something that should be under everyone's head: details and
> specifics. "Didn't work" isn't going to be much help in future posts,
> either. Specific error messages or problems encountered, always. And not
> just error numbers.
>
> And then we can start talking.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Thanks for your advise,
Dave Received on Tue Mar 23 2004 - 19:15:32 CST