Validity of HKLM\Software\Oracle\ALL_HOMES\Default_Home ?

From: Alex Willmer <alex_at_moreati.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:16:35 GMT

Dear Experts,

My questions in brief:

  1. On Win32 with Oracle 9.2, should HKLM\Software\Oracle\ALL_HOMES\Default_Home point to the current default ORACLE_HOME? Or is some sort of useless appendage from a previous incarnation?
  2. Would searching the directories listed in %PATH% for the instances of the file oracle.key and then referencing it's contents in the registry be a valid alternative method?

The longwinded history:

I've been trying to work out the logic that defines the default ORACLE_HOME in Windows 2000, with Oracle 9i release 2. We've recently upgraded from 8i release 3. The new version was installed to a new ORACLE_HOME and the old installation kept, just in case.

The upgrade has thrown up an error in the logic of some backup scripts. These inspect the registry key HKLM\Software\Oracle\ALL_HOMES\Default_Home to build the full path for running sqlplus. However the ORACLE_HOME named by this key is OraHome817, the pre-upgrade original installation; not as I expected, OraHome920.

I've run Oracle Home Selector and made sure OraHome920 is the default. I even monitored what registry keys were modified and only the key for %PATH% is written to. The OUI installed is 2.2, as comes with 9.2 and (I assume) comes bundled with Oracle Home Selector.

Any responses gratefully received.

Sincerely

Alex Received on Tue Mar 23 2004 - 17:16:35 CST