Re: ORA -16014 - Error in archiving, no available destination

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:17:26 +1100

"Prem K Mehrotra" <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HJR & Veenu:
>
> Thanks a lot. I will try to add REOPEN=60. Right now when REOPEN is
> not set. Oracle tries to archive the failed log right away several
> times. With REOPEN it will wait.
>
> I have another queston:
>
> I picked up some code which does:
>
> alter system switch logfile;
> mv archived_file dir1
>
> I think when switching is done, Oracle switches the file to a new file
> and leaves archiver to achive previous log file. I think what I should
> do is:
>
> alter system archive log current;
> mv
>
> this way I will ensure that previous log has been archived before
> switch is
> made?

There seems to be a flurry of this sort of question of late. Is it something in the air? Pheremones, perhaps??

There is no practical difference between 'archive log current' and 'switch log file'.

SQL> archive log list

Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            C:\
Oldest online log sequence     155
Next log sequence to archive   157
Current log sequence           157

SQL> alter system archive log current;

System altered.

SQL> archive log list

Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            C:\
Oldest online log sequence     156
Next log sequence to archive   158
Current log sequence           158

So here we can see 'archive log current' causing a log switch. And as I demonstrated elsewhere in this newsgroup earlier today, the online log sequence number increments regardless of whether archiver is switched on or off... meaning that the log switch happens first, and then archiver starts archiving. Which is exactly what happens with 'alter system switch logfile', too.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Mar 23 2004 - 15:17:26 CST