Re: Yearly Automatic Table Insertion

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:49:22 GMT

> You could insert all of the years for the next 20 years all at once.
> That way you don't have to schedule a job. Change your query so that
> it selects only the appropriate values...
>
> select year
> from dates
> where year<=to_number(to_char(sysdate, 'YYYY'))
> /

Why use a special table at all? In 20 years, you'll just have to add more rows. But you don't need a special table for this. Just extend your query further:

SQL> select rownum+1990 from all_objects   2 where rownum+1990 <= to_char(sysdate,'YYYY');

ROWNUM+1990

       1991
       1992
       1993
       1994
       1995
       1996
       1997
       1998
       1999
       2000
       2001
       2002
       2003
       2004

14 rows selected.

All you need is *any* table or view that has the number of rows you need to display. It doesn't have to be a table that you specifically populate with data. In my example above, I display all of the years from 1990 to the current year. This can be modified accordingly.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com