Re: ORA -16014 - Error in archiving, no available destination

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:40:57 +1100

"Prem K Mehrotra" <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:43441e77.0403221857.6754e407_at_posting.google.com...
> I have started getting following error in my database.
> ORA-16014: log 2 sequence# 18315 not archived, no available
> destinations
> ORA-00312: online log 2 thread 1: '/local8/oradata/fdc/redo02a.log'
> ORA-00312: online log 2 thread 1: '/local1/oradata/fdc/redo02b.log'
> This error occurred 3 months ago and then went away after database was
> restarted. Problem has started happening again. It has happened twice
> sinec
> yesterday.
> Following ae init.ora parameters:
> log_archive_start = TRUE
> log_archive_dest_1="location=/local2/ora_arch/bdc/archive mandatory"
> log_archive_dest_2="location=/local2/ora_arch/bdc/rman mandatory"
> log_archive_format = bdc%S.arc
> Need help right away.
> File systems are not 100% full.
> I can write to those file systmes.
>
> -----------------------------------
> I have alert.log for more than one year. Before Jan 2004, I used to
> use single archive log destination. Error will show up in alert.log
> once every 3 months, but it will correct after a few tries, i.e., redo
> log will be archived.
>
> Since Jan 2004, I have started using multiple destinations:
>
> og_archive_start = TRUE
> log_archive_dest_1="location=/local2/ora_arch/bdc/archive mandatory"
> log_archive_dest_2="location=/local2/ora_arch/bdc/rman mandatory"
> log_archive_format = bdc%S.arc
> Now when the problem happens, it does not correct after a few tries
> and one
> is forced to restart the database which is unacceptale in production
> environment.
> We do want to make sure logs are archived to both destinations, that's
> why
> mandatory.
> I am looking for a way as not to shutdown the database because I
> anticipate
> problem may happen again
>
> any ideas will be appreciated.

Would these destinations be local to the box, or some sort of network, NFS-type share?

You could also try a different REOPEN parameter, given that you haven't spec ified one yourself and are thus inheriting the default (which escapes me right at this moment but is 900 seconds, I believe off the top of my head).

There's no indication of platform or Oracle version in your post (though clearly this is a Unix environment of some sort), so it's a bit hard to know whether there are known archiving bugs for your particular combination.

More than that, it's practically impossible to suggest anything. Mysterious problems arising every three months is a bit unusual, and most probably not an Oracle one.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Mar 22 2004 - 21:40:57 CST