Re: BIGINT support?

From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 07:17:00 +0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message
> > Kenneth wrote:

> > > Yep. Which results in a maximum of 4000 chars with a single-byte
> > > charset. As I said.
> > >
> > > - Kenneth Koenraadt

> > You did not mention the single-byte charset, which causes confusion
> > when just stating a varchar2(4000) column can hold 4000 characters.
> >
> > The whole point is, it's not characters, it's bytes.
>
> Well, if I was to be picky, in 9i it depends on what the setting of your
> NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS is as to whether its characters or bytes. But it
> defaults to 'BYTE', and the data dictionary is always 'BYTE', regardless of
> the parameter setting. So I know what you were driving at.
>
> Regards
> HJR
This may have been fixed by now, but for a long time in v9, if you connect as sysdba and run a DESC on v$vpd_policy, you'll it has a column defined as VARCHAR2(4096)

:-O
--

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
Co-Author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions" Received on Sat Mar 20 2004 - 17:17:00 CST