Dynamic SQL through SOAP

From: Fernando D. Bozzo <fdbozzo_at_lycos.es>
Date: 20 Mar 2004 04:50:50 -0800

Hello all:

I've done a package that accepts a SQL Statement in a string through SOAP and then saves it in a CLOB field for later batch dynamic execution. Works fine for any string size, thanks to many people in various newsgrups that have posted solutions about this. In this case I'm using Bind variables from the Client-side (Visual FoxPro application)

Here is an example of what I save in a BatchJobs table:

ID Order SQLSentence

---- ----- -----------------------------------------------------------------
0001     1 INSERT INTO TableX (Fld1,Fld2) VALUES ('String',

'CLOB_String')
0001 2 INSERT INTO TableX (Fld1,Fld2) VALUES ('String',

'CLOB_String')

  My problem arises when I try to dynamic execute some of this large-SQLSentences, because a 'too large string' error (ORA-01704), and in this particular situation I don't have an idea of what to do.

  The main idea is that from the Client-side I want to use SPT emulation (SQL Pass-throught) through SOAP sending the SQL statements (one at a time, connecting to Oracle for each one and then disconnecting) in a string that can be very large because one of the fields is a MEMO (1 to 128 KB), and all of this statements must be executed in the same transaction. For this reason I save this SQL sentences in a BatchJobs table.

How can I dynamic-execute these CLOB fields? Have anyone a better idea for the BatchJobs table thing?

Thanks,

Fernando D. Bozzo
VIsual FoxPro programmer Received on Sat Mar 20 2004 - 06:50:50 CST