trivial pursuit - filesystemio_options

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:36:19 -0600

Platform Ora 9.2.0.1 on Solaris 8

While doing some sanity check comparisions between two db's, I discovered an oddity, a puzzler, a question, a head-scratcher . .

In the following two queries, the two databases are on the same server, under the same Oracle home, and the parameter filesystemio_options is *NOT* explicitly set in the init.ora file of either database. There is no spfile. So, two db's on the same server, under the same Oracle Home, in both cases the parm says it is at default value, but the actual value is different. Further, one of them has a value that -- from what I read in the docs -- is not a valid option for that parm.

sql> connect system_at_cmdm1240
Enter password:
Connected.
sql> select value, isdefault from v$parameter where name =
'filesystemio_options';

VALUE

ISDEFAULT

asynch
TRUE sql>
sql> connect system_at_cmqm1240
Enter password:
Connected.
sql> select value, isdefault from v$parameter where name =
'filesystemio_options';

VALUE

ISDEFAULT

asynchrval=99999999
lo
TRUE sql> Received on Fri Mar 19 2004 - 15:36:19 CST