Re: Copy database?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:10:03 +0100

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:17:58 -0000, "Karl R" <kroyle_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to create a copy of my existing database as part of a migration
>process. However, it can only be run on the same server so I need to change
>the SID. The database is about 100GB and running on an NT4 server.
>
>I tried using oradim -new, copying the data files and recreating the control
>files for the new location/SID. This works fine on a different server using
>the same SID but it complains of a mismatch when I try it on the same
>machine using a new SID in the control files (the SID seems to be embedded
>in the data files too). If this could be made to work it would be ideal
>since it's fast and I get an exact copy.
>
>I've also tried creating a new database, then recreating the users manually
>(of which there are hundreds) from dba_users then doing and exp and imp of
>the whole DB from the original database. This is slow (overnight) and tends
>to fall over half way through (IMP-00003: /ORA-03113: end-of-file on
>communication channel, no useful log file entries).
>
>Any suggestions on why these don't work / ways to make them work gratefully
>received! Alternatively, if there's a better way of doing this, please let
>me know!
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Karl R

Your post is just too vague to get any useful responses. Also we are missing out the *exact* steps that got you into this situation.
This sentence

but it complains of a mismatch when I try it on the same
>machine using a new SID in the control files (the SID seems to be embedded
>in the data files too).

doesn't tell anything and doesn't make sense as the SID is NOT stored anywhere in the database.
Somehow you screwed this thing up and we can't correct you as we don't see anything.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA