Re: Poor mans RAID10...

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:02:02 +1100

"DD" <denisdo_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3abbfcd5.0403181415.2e29190_at_posting.google.com...
> > You might just care to peruse the rest of the thread, where you will
> > discover that you are completely wrong.
> >
> > Sorry
> > HJR
>
> Hi HJR!
>
> Thanks - you guys were right:-)
> But you assumed I have posted without reading the whole tread - that's
> wrong - I did! What I was thinking about, was tablespaces. Obviously,
> segment will never be distributed between different tablespaces. But I
> have forgotten about ALTER TABLE ALLOCATE EXTENT, that gives you great
> opportunity to create same segment's extents on different datafiles.
>
> So - I was wrong, sorry - and thank you for correcting me.
> Have a great day, Guys!

But the larger point is simply that Oracle will distribute the extents across all available hard disks *without* manual intervention. My examples (and those of others) just showed doing 'allocate extent' because that was a quick way of showing what would happen automatically if you just piled a million rows into the table.

Extent striping happens whether you do it yourself or whether you leave it up to Oracle to do it.

In short, you don't need alter table allocate extent to get extent striping.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Mar 18 2004 - 19:02:02 CST