Re: Tablespace distribution on 3 external hard disks

From: Bib Endum <gd-newsgroups_at_spamex.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:47:49 -0500

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> a écrit dans le message de news:40591262$0$31904$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

[snip]
> checkpointing) redo allocation retries (and so on). It would be better
under
> those circumstances to create table 1 with three extents and arrange for
> each extent to be on a different hard disk (so that's a tablespace
spanning
> all three disks). The other two tables could go on pretty much any hard
disk
> (so one more tablespace spanning all three disks might be the go).

I always wondered what oracle does in this case: Suppose you have an empty tablespace of 3 Gb divided in 3 datafiles of 1 Gb each on 3 different drives.

You start inserting like mad in that tablespace. Will oracle be intelligent enough to insert in each databafile in a round robin manner or will it fill the first datafile, then the second, then the third ? Or randomly pick a datafile ?

The basic question is: Is oracle aware of the disk layout in some way. Yeah I know it's "aware", it's in the dictionnary, but does the program care about that ?

Otherwise you could use OS utilities to stipe a volume across the 3 drives and let the OS do the load balancing. Which is best ?

Thanks for your eventual clarification. Received on Thu Mar 18 2004 - 12:47:49 CST