Re: distributed transactions with more than one application

From: Cornelius Kuppler <kuppler_at_ipd.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:25:38 +0100

Mark D Powell wrote:
> Cornelius Kuppler <kuppler_at_ipd.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote in message news:<c3c2ro$3c5$1_at_news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>...
>

>>(How) can I let _two_ applications work on _one_ distributed transaction?
>>Is there any support from Oracle for this purpose? Something like
>>passing over the transaction context?
>>
>>It's obvious that it is possible with an external middleware (like CORBA
>>OTS), but it would be more appropriate for us to do it without.

> It is not possible for a two separate sessions to directly shared a
> single non-distributed Oracle transaction.

as well as in distributed Oracle transactions?!

> There are ways for multiple sessions to coordinate activity so as to
> perform multiple operations as a transaction with some limitations.
>
> You can build a transaction processor which communicates with multiple
> external processes and then performs its actions.

Building a "transaction processor" would require much in-depth knowledge?

> Exactly what are you trying to do? If you provide more details
> someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

Ok, in the end we want two software agents to work on this single transaction. And it is urgent that they work in the same context, so that only if both agents succeed the whole transaction is commited.

We were trying to avoid third party middleware, but this won't make things easier? Received on Thu Mar 18 2004 - 09:25:38 CST