Re: Problems installing Oracle9i on Fedora with 256 RAM

From: Darius <dmedhora_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Mar 2004 04:13:10 -0800

Brian, Thanks very much for your suggestions!!!, I will HAVE to try out the manual install the way you suggested it. It sounds great. Also I'll look at the other link you sent re: dizwell and get more RAM! what the heck..you've made my day coz I see some hope now,, :) Saying that, can you read this below that I just posted to oracle.misc also? Thanks
----cut here---

Hi, ok, so I try a re-install. Trying to use as less RAM as possible by stopping many services, and using just the twm window manager, I removed all files, checked the environment, checked the kernel parameters, checked that i have java-1_3_1_11, got the necy rpms, relinked gcc, installed the 3006854 patch, updated oraparam.ini to change JRE_LOCATION, ran the installer and this is what happened:
1) It didn't crash at all! Good.
2) There were linking errors, many of em! Bad. Here they are:

Error invoking target of makefile ... ldap/lib/ins_ldap.mk
----ditto--- ins_precomp.mk
                                      ins_net_client.mk
                                      also a plsql one
                                      ins_sqlplus
So then I edited genclntsh and noticed:
# LD_SELF_CONTAINED=" -Z DEFS"
The doc says to change it from
LD_SELF_CONTAINED=" -Z DEFS"
LD_SELF_CONTAINED=""
But it was commented, so anyways, I uncommented it and made it "", and retried. It core dumped. I tried again, and then it created clntst9.a ( I hope ) But when I retried, it popped up with the same error. So i ignored it and then I got another bunch of errors later on:

Error invoking target of makefile ...ins_oemagent.mk (That I ignored as it says to ignore it in the doc)
Error invoking target of makefile ...ins_rdbms.mk
---ditto-- ins_ctx
Here, I tried the fix which added $(LDFLAG)dl to the link in env_ctx.mk where INSO_LINK is defined. But, a "retry" failed again...so in essence, i ignored things all the way till the installer exited gracefully.

Then, as instructed it installed the patchset, but it gave me very familiar errors :)
Anyhow, after making Oracle Tools look at an alternative JRE, I tried to run dbca. I got a error:
"error in process $ORACLE_HOME/bin/orapwd". Which brought me back here to this group. Does anyone have any suggestions please? Thanks!