Tablespace distribution on 3 external hard disks

From: Ursula Lee <ursula.lee_at_thales-is.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:51:53 +0800

Hi all,

Just a general question on tablespace distribution on 3 external hard disks. (Running on Oracle 9i database on HP-UX11)

I have one tablespace created TBS_HIS for 2 big tables storing almost 100000 daily. And there are 3 external hard disks with 18 G each (but one of the hard disks has 12 G left only).

I plan to evenly distributed the table space into that 3 hard disks, e.g. total of 29 G, 12 G on one, 12 G on another one, then 5 G on the third.

Question:
1. Is that better to put everything on one hard disk first, then the second one and so on....instead evenly distributing the space?

E.g. One table on one tablespace and one hard disk.

2. I am thinking if this is evenly distributed, would I lost all the data if one hard disk fails?

3. What is the benefit of evenly distributed?

Regards,
Ursula Received on Wed Mar 17 2004 - 19:51:53 CST