Re: 2 arch and db processes

From: yls177 <yls177_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Mar 2004 20:48:31 -0800

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<404E4A25.E39FCB0B_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> > so back to the question, i still cant any definitions of processes in
> > my initsid.ora? i did a grep to get rid of all the comments but still
> > cant find any process definitions except for this "processes=1000"
>
> If you do not have the PROCESS parameter in your initialization file,
> then it will default. To verify if your instance is using the default
> value, then query the ISDEFAULT column of V$PARAMETER. The default value
> is derived from PARALLEL_MAX_SERVERS. Of course, you can override this
> value by specifying it in your intialization file, but it is not
> necessary.
>
> HTH,
> Brian

hurray.. you solved my puzzle....

the default value for db writer is 3. my understanding is that the default is always one and where instances when it is 3, u have to define it in initsid.ora

now, the opposite is true. when instances where there is one db writer, u have to define it in initsid.ora

to round it off, we cant change the value in v$parameter right?

for this to happen, we have to put it in initsid.ora

thanks pple.... or should i say.. dbas... Received on Tue Mar 16 2004 - 22:48:31 CST