Re: 10g client on Linux can't connect use Oracle Names Server, tnsnames.ora OK

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:38:52 +1100

Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

> >to be empty. But in "available", you should see Local naming, NIS
External
> >naming, Directory Naming, DCE CDS External Naming and Easy Connect
Naming.

> What method do you suggest for those who aren't LDAP experts nor wish to
use
> OID with its added cost and overhead? I currently use Names Server too.
> could go back to using local naming (tnsnames), but it'll be a pain to
keep
> updated on all clients should a server be added or removed. What are you
> supposed to do if you want the simple connection resolution and
centralized
> management that ONames provided?

One method I've heard about but never implemented: create a tnsnames.ora, drop it onto a network share, and use the TNS_ADMIN environment variable on each client to point to it.

You of course are stuffed royally if the network share ever goes down. There's no automatic replication between different network shares (as there was between different names servers). And generally its a fudge. But it might be a go-er.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Mar 16 2004 - 14:38:52 CST