Re: Multi Threaded server not working for many inserts?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 16 Mar 2004 10:49:49 -0800

"Royco" <bla_at_bla.nl> wrote

<snipped>
> Are there any known bugs and workarounds in Multi Threaded Server
> configurations which indicate problems with large inserts????

This posting reminds me of a young scientist who caught a fly. He placed the fly on the lab table. He clapped his hands. The fly flew away. "Hearing. Excellent!" he wrote. He caught the fly again. Torn the fly's wings off and placed it on the table. He clapped his hands. The fly did not move. So he wrote in his lab notes "A fly without wings looses its ability to hear! Amazing!!".

I.e. blaming your problems on MTS without providing a single shred of evidence or offering any kind of analysis results does not cut it.

Processes do not hang. They do not get stuck at a machince code instruction and "hang" at that instuction.

So even if it appears the car does not seem to be moving, the engine is still running. So you need to roll up your sleeves, pop the hood, and see what is happening inside. Is the car in gear? Is the car not maybe upside down? Did someone replace the fan with a Cessna 152 prop in an attempt to turn it into a plane?

And yeah, this analogy is very apt when it comes to how some people insist on using Oracle.

I.e. what does the wait events for that process say? What does the rows gotten, i/o reads/writes and other session stats say for that process? Have you enabled SQL tracing for that session when it appears to be hung? Have you had a look at operating system wait events?

Or is this kneejerk re-action that MTS must be to blame typical of the investigative and troubleshooting skills of today's IT/Oracle professional?

And yes dammit, I can do with anther mug of coffee. Or two...

--
Billy