Re: is there limit to number of partitions in a table

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:11:58 GMT

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, colin_lyse wrote:

> we have a very large table (starting at 1 billion growing by 4 million a day
> we will keep 2 years - 2 billion rows) that has to be partitioned. Is there a
> limit ot number of partitions, not necessarily a physical limit, more of a
> partical limit. We are thinking of creating ~104 partitions (1 per week, 20
> million rows), is that execessive.

You might also consider the new "compressed" table feature in 9ir2. Saves space and i/o at the cost of cpu.

   / Charles J. Fisher   | Enlightenment: the realization that your 100     /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org |  line Perl script can be reimplemented as a 5   /
 /   http://rhadmin.org  |  line shell script.                            /